[Colloquium] [CDAC] Oct 18: Alex Weinert & Maria Puertas Calvo of Microsoft

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 8 10:56:30 CDT 2019

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/c8a5e3b70c2e/cdac-distinguished-speaker-series-fernando-prez-uc-berkeley-project-jupyter-october-8th-2407417?e=467e369681>
[image: CDAC]
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=b2a1f04449&e=467e369681>
[image:
Announcement]

*Alex Weinert and Maria Puertas Calvo of Microsoft visit CDAC on October
18th to share how they use machine learning to protect cloud accounts from
malicious activity.*
CDAC EVENTDefense Against the Dark Bots: How Microsoft Protects 1 Billion
Users with Machine LearningFriday, October 18, 2019 · 12:30-1:30pm
Room 390, John Crerar Library Building, 5730 S. Ellis Avenue

With the rise of mobile applications, social media, online gaming and
collaboration software, all of us use our online identities in the cloud
every day. At Microsoft, we enable 1 billion people every month to work and
play using Microsoft online accounts. Criminals have followed users to the
cloud, and it has become easier than ever to profit at low risk from
compromising online identities. Finding these malicious actors among
terabytes of data daily is no easy task. We rely on Machine Learning and
other advanced data-driven techniques to find the bad among large amounts
of user activity. Our algorithms have to be robust, fast and accurate. In
this talk we’ll discuss the major attacks we see and how we apply Machine
Learning to find the attackers and keep 1 billion users safe.

RSVP Here
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=a528f223ca&e=467e369681>
*Alex Weinert*
Director of Identity Security, Microsoft

Alex is the Director of Identity Security for Microsoft. Billions of users
sign in to millions of apps almost 20 billion times per day on Microsoft’s
Identity platform. The Identity Security team protects users from
unauthorized access, account takeover and abuse. If you have signed into
Xbox, Skype, Outlook, Office 365, Azure, Dynamics or any number of our B2C
sites or organizations using Azure AD, we’re the team standing between you
and the hackers. In addition to detection, investigation and response, the
Identity Security team delivers products including Azure AD Multi-Factor
Authentication, Identity Protection, Conditional Access, and the
Authenticator App, as well as a host of enterprise and consumer account
defense systems. Prior to his current role, Alex served in a variety of
engineering and product management roles on products such as MSN, Visual
Studio, Xbox, and Identity related products like Active Directory. Outside
of work, Alex is passionate about interfacing with various humans, making
stuff, sailing, and music.
*Maria Puertas Calvo*
Senior Data Science Manager, Microsoft

Maria Puertas Calvo leads Microsoft’s Identity Security and Protection data
science team. She focuses on improving the intelligence behind Azure AD
Identity Protection and all Microsoft Account prevention and detection
systems. Her work translates into constant improvements of the Machine
Learning algorithms that keep Microsoft users secure and protected. Before
Identity, she worked on detecting spam on Outlook.com. Maria has a Master’s
in Computer Science from the Autonomous University of Madrid, Spain, where
she also did academic research in biometrics and Machine Learning.
[image: CDAC UChicago]

CDAC is the incubator for new multidisciplinary data science and artificial
intelligence research at the University of Chicago. We catalyze new
discoveries by fusing fundamental and applied research with real-world
applications.