[Colloquium] Invitation to the Computation Workshop Fall Mixer

Sanja Miklin smiklin at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 1 21:34:42 CDT 2019

THE COMPUTATION WORKSHOP PRESENTSFALL WELCOME MIXER

The Computation Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>at the University
of Chicago cordially invites you to attend this week’s event. We welcome
the new class of MACSS students, greet our returning second years, and
invite all faculty and guests to mingle with our students, discuss big
ideas, celebrate the first Computation Workshop of the academic year in our
new room, and propose speakers, topics, and organizations for the workshop.
THURSDAY, 10/03/201911:00AM-12:20PMHINDS LABORATORY 101

A light lunch will be provided by Snail Thai Cusine.

Our next workshop will also be atypical, on Thursday, October 10, but from
4:00-5:20pm, with a light dinner following the event. We will feature a
panel of distinguished University of Chicago faculty chaired by Jeremy
Greene <https://www.hopkinshistoryofmedicine.org/content/jeremy-greene>, a
renowned historian of medicine, discussing “Big Data in Medicine.”

Our regular workshop format will recommence the following week with our
Faculty Director, James Evans
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/directory/james-evans>, presenting a paper
titled “Science and Technology Advance through Surprise.”

------------------------------

The 2019-2020 Computation Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>meets on Thursdays
from 11 to 12:20 p.m. The workshop will be held in Hinds Laboratory 101
during the Fall quarter. All interested faculty and graduate students are
welcome.

Students in the Masters of Computational Social Science program are
expected to attend and join the discussion by posting a comment on the issues
page  <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/README>of the
workshop’s
public repository on GitHub.
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop>
*Sanja Miklin*
MACSS Preceptor
PhD Candidate | Comparative Human Development
The University of Chicago