[Colloquium] CDAC Speaker Series, 12/6: Juliana Freire (NYU), "Democratizing Urban Data Exploration"

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 25 12:49:53 CST 2019

View this email in your browser
<https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=dd67ced043>
[image: CDAC] <https://cdac.uchicago.edu/> [image: Announcement]

*Please join us December 6th for the final edition of our Fall
Distinguished Speaker Series <http://cdac.uchicago.edu/events> with Juliana
Freire, Professor of Computer Science and Data Science at New York
University.*
CDAC DISTINGUISHED SPEAKER SERIES Democratizing Urban Data Exploration Friday,
December 6, 2019 · 12:30-1:30pm
Room 390, John Crerar Library Building, 5730 S. Ellis Avenue

The ability to collect data from urban environments through a variety of
sensors, coupled with a push towards openness and transparency by
governments, has resulted in the availability of a plethora of
spatio-temporal datasets. By analyzing these data, we can better understand
how different urban components behave and interact over space and time, and
obtain insights to make city operations more efficient, inform policies and
planning, and improve the quality of life for residents. While there have
been successful efforts in this direction, they are few and far between.
Analyzing urban data often requires a staggering amount of work, from
identifying and wrangling relevant data, to carrying out exploratory
analyses and creating predictive models — tasks that are often out of reach
for domain experts that lack training in computing and data science. In
this talk, I will discuss research we have done that aims to democratize
data exploration. I will present methods and systems which combine data
management, analytics, and visualization to increase the level of
interactivity, scalability, and usability for spatio-temporal data analyses.

Lunch will be provided. If you plan to attend, please RSVP at the link
below. The talk will also be webcast on the CDAC YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf_vMLzedhxTSvsUwVgpAgA>.
RSVP Here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cdac-distinguished-speaker-series-juliana-freire-tickets-73336418201>
*Juliana Freire*
Professor of Computer Science and Data Science, New York University

Juliana Freire is a Professor of Computer Science and Data Science at New
York University. She is the elected chair of the ACM Special Interest Group
on Management of Data (SIGMOD) and a council member of the Computing
Research Association’s Computing Community Consortium (CCC). She was the
lead investigator and executive director of the NYU Moore-Sloan Data
Science Environment. Her research interests are in large-scale data
analysis, curation and integration, visualization, provenance management,
and web information discovery. She has made fundamental contributions to
data management methods and tools that address problems introduced by
emerging applications including urban analytics and computational
reproducibility. Freire has published over 180 technical papers, several
open-source systems, and is an inventor of 12 U.S. patents. She has
co-authored 6 award-winning papers, including one that received the ACM
SIGMOD Most Reproducible Paper Award. She is an ACM Fellow and a recipient
of an NSF CAREER, two IBM Faculty awards, and a Google Faculty Research
award. Her research has been funded by the National Science Foundation,
DARPA, Department of Energy, National Institutes of Health, Sloan
Foundation, Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, W. M. Keck Foundation,
Google, Amazon, AT&T Research, Microsoft Research, Yahoo! and IBM. She
received M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in computer science from the State
University of New York at Stony Brook.
[image: CDAC UChicago]

CDAC is the incubator for new multidisciplinary data science and artificial
intelligence research at the University of Chicago. We catalyze new
discoveries by fusing fundamental and applied research with real-world
applications.
[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/cdac_uchicago>
[image: Website] <https://cdac.uchicago.edu/>

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*
*773-484-9890*