[Colloquium] Reminder: Victoria Stodden (UIUC), 11/19, 12:30pm

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 18 15:21:03 CST 2019

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/91d432ebfc8e/cdac-distinguished-speaker-series-fernando-prez-uc-berkeley-project-jupyter-october-8th-2642437?e=467e369681>
[image: CDAC]
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=be2c10e5ed&e=467e369681>
[image:
Announcement]

*Please join us November 19th as we continue our Fall Distinguished Speaker
Series
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=f1940d1f95&e=467e369681>
with
computational reproducibility expert Victoria Stodden, Associate Professor
in the School of Information Sciences at University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign.*
CDAC DISTINGUISHED SPEAKER SERIES Reproducibility is Not a Crisis. Now
What? Next Steps for Advancing Computational and Data-enabled Science Tuesday,
November 19, 2019 · 12:30-1:30pm
Room 390, John Crerar Library Building, 5730 S. Ellis Avenue

“There is no crisis, but also no time for complacency” said the chair of
the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM)
committee on “Reproducibility and Replicability in Science” in May 2019
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=5a83a8240b&e=467e369681>.
Questions regarding reproducibility have arisen regarding the transparency
of computational methods and discovery, in part due to the leveraging of
data and compute resources for scientific and engineering advancements, now
pervasive in a staggeringly broad range of academic disciplines and
activities. In this talk, I present the reproducibility definitions that
emerged in our NASEM committee deliberations and discuss an abstract
framework for conceptualizing and advancing data science as a discipline,
called the Lifecycle of Data Science (forthcoming in CACM). This framework
integrates the disparate components of data-enabled discovery, from
hardware provisioning to applications to dissemination standards for
verification and re-use to ethics, and thereby brings into contextual focus
salient issues such as computational reproducibility, standards and policy,
and curricular development. I then present the “Knowledge Integrator,” an
effort to conceptualize and enable the dissemination of reproducible
research results based on the Lifecycle of Data Science and community
engagement.

Lunch will be provided. If you plan to attend, please RSVP at the link
below. The talk will also be webcast on the CDAC YouTube channel
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=a43e17fdd9&e=467e369681>
.
RSVP Here
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=f8b4cc29a5&e=467e369681>
*Victoria Stodden*
Associate Professor, School of Information Sciences, University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign

Victoria Stodden joined the School of Information Sciences as an associate
professor in Fall 2014. She is a leading figure in the area of
reproducibility in computational science, exploring how can we better
ensure the reliability and usefulness of scientific results in the face of
increasingly sophisticated computational approaches to research. Her work
addresses a wide range of topics, including standards of openness for data
and code sharing, legal and policy barriers to disseminating reproducible
research, robustness in replicated findings, cyberinfrastructure to enable
reproducibility, and scientific publishing practices. Stodden co-chairs the
NSF Advisory Committee for CyberInfrastructure and is a member of the NSF
Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE)
Advisory Committee. She also serves on the National Academies Committee on
Responsible Science: Ensuring the Integrity of the Research Process.

Previously an assistant professor of statistics at Columbia University,
Stodden taught courses in data science, reproducible research, and
statistical theory and was affiliated with the Institute for Data Sciences
and Engineering. She co-edited two books released in 2014—Privacy, Big
Data, and the Public Good: Frameworks for Engagement published by Cambridge
University Press and Implementing Reproducible Research published by Taylor
& Francis. Stodden earned both her PhD in statistics and her law degree
from Stanford University. She also holds a master’s degree in economics
from the University of British Columbia and a bachelor’s degree in
economics from the University of Ottawa.

[image: CDAC UChicago]

CDAC is the incubator for new multidisciplinary data science and artificial
intelligence research at the University of Chicago. We catalyze new
discoveries by fusing fundamental and applied research with real-world
applications.
[image: Twitter]
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=bbdc3f1d05&e=467e369681>
[image: Website]
<https://uchicago.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e0b067f9a3f85cd7e439ae8f0&id=f0bd06fbe6&e=467e369681>

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*
*773-484-9890*