[Colloquium] Reminder: Harrison/MS Presentation/Nov 5, 2019

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 4 13:47:33 CST 2019

This is a reminder about Galen Harrison's MS Presentation tomorrow.

Date:  Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Time:  11:00 AM

Place:  John Crerar Library 390

M.S. Candidate:  Galen Harrison

M.S. Paper Title: Towards Understanding Decisions about Fairness in
Machine Learning

Abstract:
There are many competing definitions of what statistical properties
make a machine learning model fair. Unfortunately, research has shown
that some key properties are mutually exclusive. Thus, realistic
models are thus necessarily imperfect, reflecting a decision to favor
one side of a trade-off over the other. Current work in fair and
transparent machine learning has neglected decisions up to this point.
In particular, current data science workflow tools are not well suited
to address identification and characterization of these decisions.
Furthermore, it is not currently clear what the best practices are for
visualizing these decisions in an unambiguous and non-manipulative
form. Understanding perceptions of fairness, whether participants
understood and had opinions about the tradeoff and if so what those
opinions were, is a first step towards these goals. To this end, I
describe a study into perceptions of fairness in realistic, imperfect
models. In the study, my coauthors and I had participants compare two
models for deciding whether to grant bail to criminal defendants. The
first model equalized one potentially desirable model property (with
the other property varying across racial groups). The second model did
the opposite. We observed a preference among participants for
equalizing the false positive rate between groups over equalizing
accuracy. Nonetheless, no preferences were overwhelming, and both
sides of each trade-off we tested were strongly preferred by a
non-trivial fraction of participants. Our findings suggest that while
there is a strong interest in these kinds of decisions, future work in
this area should try to surface contentious issues, rather than
produce consensus.

Galen's advisor is Prof. Blase Ur

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#harrisong

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu