[Colloquium] REMINDER: 5/10 Research at TTIC: Jinbo Xu, TTIC

Alicia McClarin amcclarin at ttic.edu
Thu May 9 12:38:34 CDT 2019

*When:*     Friday, May 10th. Refreshments at noon. Talk begins at 12:20pm.

*Where:*    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *      Jinbo Xu, TTIC

*Title: *       Progress on Protein Structure Prediction by Deep Learning

*Abstract: *Accurate description of protein structure and function is a
fundamental step towards understanding biological life and highly relevant
in the development of therapeutics. Although greatly improved, experimental
protein structure determination is still low-throughput and costly,
especially for membrane proteins. As such, computational structure
prediction is often resorted. Predicting the structure of a protein without
similar experimental structures is very challenging and usually needs a
large amount of computing power.  This talk will present the deep learning
method (i.e., deep convolutional residual neural network) we have developed
for protein contact and distance prediction that won the CASP (Critical
Assessment of Structure Prediction) in both 2016 and 2018 in the category
of contact prediction.  In this talk we show that by using this powerful
deep learning technique, even with only a personal computer we can predict
the structure of a protein much more accurately than ever before. In
particular, we predicted correct folds for the 3 largest hard targets (~350
amino acids) in CASP13 (2018) and generated the best 3D models for two of
them among all the human and server groups including DeepMind's AlphaFold.
Inspired by our success in CASP12 (2016), this deep learning technique has
been adopted widely by the structure prediction community and thus,
resulted in the widespread, largest progress in CASP13 (2018) in the
history of CASP, which will also be discussed in this talk.

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact Nathan Srebro at nati at ttic.edu
<mcallester at ttic.edu>

--
*Alicia McClarin*
*Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago*