[Colloquium] Gokhale/MS Presentation/Apr 10, 2019

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 25 13:29:02 CDT 2019

This is an announcement of Pranav Gokhale's MS Presentation.

Date:  Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Time:  12:00 PM

Place:  John Crerar Library 298

M.S. Candidate:  Pranav Gokhale

M.S. Paper Title: Between Ancilla and Charybdis: Asymptotic
Improvements to Quantum Circuits via Qutrits

Abstract:
Quantum computation is traditionally expressed in terms of quantum
bits, or qubits. In this work, we instead consider three-level
qutrits. Past work with qutrits has demonstrated only constant factor
improvements, owing to the lg(3) binary-to-ternary compression factor.
We present a novel technique using qutrits to achieve a logarithmic
depth (runtime) decomposition of the Generalized Toffoli gate using no
ancilla--a significant improvement over linear depth for the best
qubit-only equivalent. Our circuit construction also features a 70x
improvement in two-qudit gate count over the qubit-only equivalent
decomposition. This results in circuit cost reductions for important
algorithms like quantum neurons and Grover search. We develop an
open-source circuit simulator for qutrits, along with realistic
near-term noise models which account for the cost of operating
qutrits. Simulation results for these noise models indicate over 90%
mean reliability (fidelity) for our circuit construction, versus under
30% for the qubit-only baseline. These results suggest that qutrits
offer a promising path towards scaling quantum computation.

Pranav's advisor is Prof. Frederic Chong

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#pranavgokhale

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu