[Colloquium] REMINDER: 3/21 Talks at TTIC at 2pm!: Kristoffer Sahlin, Pennsylvania State University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Mar 20 16:52:07 CDT 2019

*When: *   Thursday, March 21st at *2:00 pm*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Kristoffer Sahlin, Pennsylvania State University

*Title:* Accelerating biological discovery with scalable and accurate
algorithms

*Abstract:*
In our cells, DNA and RNA holds information to answer questions about our
evolution, diseases, and traits. We are now able to assay this sequence
information at large scale using various high throughput sequencing
techniques. The rapid advances in sequencing technologies are allowing
molecular biologists to answer yet more complex questions about the
information encoded in our cells. However, these technological advances
require parallel advances in bioinformatic algorithms. Today, the lack of
fast and accurate tools is the bottleneck that stands between raw data and
biological discovery. Two ways to reduce the time spent on going from data
to answers are to improve runtime or accuracy of bioinformatic algorithms,
both of which are best solved through algorithmic design. In this talk, I
will outline some of the common bioinformatic problems encountered in
biological projects concerned with genome and transcriptome sequence
analysis, and I will present my research on algorithms to reduce the
computational bottleneck. I will first discuss how a simple model that I
designed bridged the gap between speed and accuracy in algorithms for
genomic problems such as genome assembly and structural variation
detection. I will then continue to describe my recent and ongoing work on
transcriptomics, focusing on reconstructing transcripts from long and noisy
reads.

Host: Jinbo Xu <j3xu at ttic.edu>