[Colloquium] Reminder: McNutt/MS Presentation/Jun 12, 2019

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 11 09:16:37 CDT 2019

This is a reminder about Andrew McNutt's MS Presentation tomorrow.

Date:  Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Time:  11:30 AM

Place:  John Crerar Library 298

M.S. Candidate:  Andrew McNutt

M.S. Paper Title: Design and Analysis of Table Cartograms:
Simultaneous-Multipurpose Tabular Area-Encoding Displays

Abstract:
Table cartograms visualize tabular data by adjusting a rectilinear
grid of quadrilaterals so that one's area is proportionate to its data
value. The visual effect of this area encoding is similar to the way
that shaded matrices encode value with color. Table cartograms bring
together the rich details-first presentation of traditional tables
with the part-to-whole and part-to-part comparisons enabled by
area-encoding visualizations, such as pie charts and treemaps. While
table cartograms have been previously described, we contribute a
thorough characterization of how they may be usefully applied and a
complete technical description of an optimization method to form them.
We find that table cartograms are most effective at visualizing
ordinal tabular data, which enables the representation of a wide
variety of data types such as contingency or pivot tables, calendars,
graph-like structures, and others. We situate and justify our
positions by applying Algebraic Visualization Design. This enables
both careful reasoning about visualization properties and meaningful
side-by-side comparisons with other established techniques for
displaying the same data. Research materials, including our
open-source web-based implementation, are available at
https://osf.io/5r6fn/?view_only=c8708b2cee93416284df7c6a45892aee.

Andrew's advisor is Prof. Gordon Kindlmann

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#mcnutt

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu