[Colloquium] REMINDER: 1/24 Talks at TTIC: Talya Eden, Tel Aviv University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:24:31 CST 2019

When:     Thursday, January 24th at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Talya Eden, Tel Aviv University

*Title:       *Estimating and Sampling Subgraphs in Sublinaer-Time

*Abstract:* I will present an algorithm for approximating the number of
k-cliques in a graph when given query access to the graph. Let n denote the
number of vertices in the graph,  the number of edges, and Ck the number of
k-cliques. We design an algorithm that outputs a (1+ε)-approximation (with
high probability) for Ck, whose expected query complexity and running time
are [image: O\left(\frac{n}{C_k^{1/k}}+\frac{m^{k/2}}{C_k}\right)]. The
main insight is a procedure that samples each k-clique incident to a given
set S of vertices with approximately equal probability.

Host: Yury Makarychev <Yury at ttic.edu>