[Colloquium] REMINDER: 1/17 Talks at TTIC: Thodoris Lykouris, Cornell University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 16 15:55:10 CST 2019

When:     Thursday, January 17th at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Thodoris Lykouris, Cornell University

*Title*:        Adaptive Decision Making in a Data-Driven Society

*Abstract*:  The emergence of online marketplaces has largely transformed
many areas such as transportation, shopping, hospitality, and
entertainment. These platforms have access to vast amounts of data which
enables them to optimize the services they provide. In this talk, I will
underline common challenges that all these platforms encounter, and focus
on two that arise when platforms aim to learn effectively from sequential
requests at the face of uncertainty. In particular, I will tackle a
significant hurdle in this process: data may be corrupted and the platforms
need to employ learning techniques that are robust to this corruption. I
will then briefly talk about how platforms can avoid over-exploration when
dealing with complex sequential learning settings. I will conclude the talk
by highlighting some of my work on other aspects of adaptive decision
making that arise in this theme, and broadly discussing the role of theory
in this data-driven society.

*Host:*  Avrim Blum <Avrim at ttic.edu>