[Colloquium] 1/16 Talks at TTIC: Aaron Schild, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 9 21:38:46 CST 2019

When:     Wednesday, January 16th at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Aaron Schild, UC Berkeley

*Title*:       Graph Structure via Gaussian Elimination

*Abstract*:  Graph partitioning has played an important role in theoretical
computer science, particularly in the design of approximation algorithms
and metric embeddings. In this talk, we revisit some of these applications
from the perspective of Gaussian elimination, particularly in the context
of random spanning tree generation and oblivious routing. In the process,
we will see how fundamental tradeoffs in graph partitioning can be overcome
by eliminating vertices from an undirected graph using Gaussian elimination
on the associated Laplacian matrix.

*Host:*  Madhur Tulsiani <madhurt at ttic.edu>