[Colloquium] 2/26 Talks at TTIC: Mrinmaya Sachan, Carnegie Mellon

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 19 18:58:18 CST 2019

When:     Tuesday, February 26th at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Mrinmaya Sachan, Carnegie Mellon

*Title:       *Towards Literate Artificial Intelligence

*Abstract: *Over the past decade, the field of artificial intelligence (AI)
has seen striking developments. Yet, today’s AI systems sorely lack the
essence of human intelligence i.e.  our ability to (a) understand language
and grasp its meaning, (b) assimilate common-sense background knowledge of
the world, and (c) draw inferences and perform reasoning. Before we even
begin to build AI systems that possess the aforementioned human abilities,
we must ask an even more fundamental question: How would we even evaluate
an AI system on the aforementioned abilities? In this talk, I will argue
that we can evaluate AI systems in the same way as we evaluate our children
- by giving them standardized tests. Standardized tests are administered to
students to measure the knowledge and skills gained by them. Thus, it is
natural to use these tests to measure the intelligence of our AI systems.
Then, I will describe Parsing to Programs (P2P), a framework that combines
ideas from semantic parsing and probabilistic programming for situated
question answering. We used P2P to build systems that can solve
pre-university level Euclidean geometry and Newtonian physics examinations.
P2P achieves a performance at least as well as the average student on
questions from textbooks, geometry questions from previous SAT exams, and
mechanics questions from Advanced Placement (AP) exams. I will conclude by
describing implications of this research and some ideas for future work.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>