[Colloquium] Thursday 2/14 | Monica Rosenberg at the Computational Social Science Workshop

Nora Nickels via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 8 12:23:16 CST 2019

THE COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP PRESENTSMONICA ROSENBERGASSISTANT
PROFESSOR OF PSYCHOLOGY, DIRECTOR OF THE COGNITION, ATTENTION, AND BRAIN
(CAB) LABTHE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

The Computational Social Science Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>at the University
of Chicago cordially invites you to attend this week’s talk:

PREDICTING ATTENTION AND WORKING MEMORY FROM FUNCTIONAL BRAIN CONNECTIVITY
ACROSS DEVELOPMENT
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/monica_rosenberg/blob/master/nn.4179.pdf>

navigating our everyday lives. Surprisingly, however, we have no way to
characterize — much less capture — a person’s attention and memory function
as a whole. To address this challenge, I will demonstrate that a person’s
unique pattern of functional brain connectivity can provide such a measure.
In particular, I will show that models based on functional connectivity
“fingerprints” predict how well people can pay attention and remember
information in a variety of contexts. Throughout the talk I will highlight
how testing brain-based predictive models across age and mental state can
reveal specific and general neural signatures of behavior. For example,
testing models across age can help identify developmental change points in
the relationship between brain and behavior. Likewise, testing models
across cognitive and emotional states (e.g., rest and task) can further
constrain the specificity of predictive models. For instance, does
perturbing neural circuits with cognitive tasks improve behavioral
predictions? Moving forward, characterizing when models successfully
predict behavior and when they fail can provide new insights into the
functional architecture of attention and memory that is common or unique to
development windows and mental states.

THURSDAY, 2/14/201911:00AM-12:20PMKENT 120

A light lunch will be provided by Good Earth Catering.

Monica Rosenberg will join the University of Chicago Department of
Psychology as an Assistant Professor and director of the Cognition,
Attention, and Brain (CAB) Lab in July. Her research explores how we pay
attention, and how insights from attention research can help improve focus.
Dr. Rosenberg completed her PhD and postdoctoral work in the Department of
Psychology at Yale University after earning her undergraduate degree in
cognitive neuroscience at Brown University.

------------------------------

The 2018-2019 Computational Social Science Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>meets Thursdays
from 11 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. in Kent 120. All interested faculty and graduate
students are welcome.

Students in the Masters of Computational Social Science program are
expected to attend and join the discussion by posting a comment on the issues
page
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/monica_rosenberg/issues>of
the workshop’s public repository on GitHub.
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/monica_rosenberg> Further
instructions are documented in the Computational Social Science
Workshop’s README
on Github. <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/README>