[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/12 Talks at TTIC: Siva Reddy, Stanford University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 12 10:24:59 CST 2019

When:     Tuesday, February 12th at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Siva Reddy, Stanford University

*Title:*        Interacting with Machines in Natural Language

*Abstract: *Computing machinery such as smartphones are ubiquitous, and so
will be smart home appliances, self-driving cars and robots in the near
future. Enabling these machines with natural language understanding
abilities opens up potential opportunities for the broader society to
benefit from, e.g., in accessing the world’s knowledge, or in controlling
complex machines with little effort.

In this talk, we will particularly focus on providing access to the
knowledge stored in knowledge-bases and text documents in a colloquial
manner. We will do so by processing language into programs that perform
reasoning. The main questions we will address are 1) which inductive biases
on neural architectures are well suited for processing language to
programs? 2) what is the role of linguistic structure? and 3) can we build
models which produce the answers without generating an explicit program?

*Bio:* Siva Reddy is a postdoc in the Computer Science Department at
Stanford University working with Chris Manning. His research goal is to
enable machines with natural language understanding abilities to facilitate
applications such as question answering and conversational systems. Before
his postdoc, he was a Google PhD fellow at the University of Edinburgh
working with Mirella Lapata and Mark Steedman. His work experience includes
an internship at Google and a research position at Sketch Engine.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>