[Colloquium] REMINDER: 12/16 TTIC Colloquium: Graham Neubig, Carnegie Mellon University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Dec 16 01:05:15 CST 2019

*When:*      Monday, December 16th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Graham Neubig, Carnegie Mellon University

*Title:* Learning about Language with Normalizing Flows

*Abstract: *Human language is complex and highly structured, with the
unique syntax of each language defining this structure. While analyzing
this structure and using it to train better NLP models is of inherent
interest to linguists and NLP practitioners, for most languages in the
world there is a paucity of labeled data. In this talk, I will discuss
methods for learning about this structure and the correspondence between
languages, specifically take advantage of a powerful tool called
normalizing flows to build generative models over complex underlying
structures. First, I will give a brief overview of normalizing flows, using
an example from our recent work that uses these techniques to learn
bilingual word embeddings. Then, I will demonstrate how these can be
applied to learning for part-of-speech tagging, dependency parsing, or
machine translation.