[Colloquium] REMINDER: 12/9 TTIC Colloquium: Adam Kalai, Microsoft Research

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Dec 9 09:45:59 CST 2019

*When:*      Monday, December 9th at 11:00 am

*Where:*     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Adam Kalai, Microsoft Research

*Title:        *Expect the Unexpected: Learning to Generalize across
Similarly Different Datasets

*Abstract: *People learn to drive in one city and are easily able to drive
in others, exhibiting a robustness that Machine Learning algorithms often
lack. We consider a model of learning where test data may be very different
from training data, e.g., training data is collected in two cities but test
data is from a third city (or training data is from a single city but can
be appropriately subsampled). We analyze and experiment with algorithms for
learning from the differences across training data splits to predict well
on the unseen distribution. Our model differs from most work on domain
adaptation in that: the test distribution may not even overlap with the
training distribution, we have no unlabeled samples from the test
distribution, and yet the training and test distributions are assumed to be
drawn from the same meta-distribution over distributions. For these
reasons, importance-weighting approaches are not applicable and different
algorithms are necessary.

Joint work with Vikas Garg (MIT), Katrina Ligett (Hebrew University), and
Steven Wu (University of Minnesota).

*Host:* Avrim Blum <avrim at ttic.edu>
<madhurt at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php