[Colloquium] [CDAC] Data Therapy, Today 3:30 pm (Word Embeddings, Eamon Duede)

Rob Mitchum rmitchum at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 8 09:57:13 CDT 2019

[image: CDAC Refresh Logo (1).png]

Today is the first installment of our new series with the Research
Computing Center <http://rcc.uchicago.edu/> called *Data Therapy*. These
hour-long gatherings are meant to be a very informal introduction to a new
and useful data science tool, led by a UChicago researcher who has used it
in their work. The sessions are open to all faculty, students and staff at
the University.

If you’re interested in text analysis, spatial data science, collaborative
and reproducible code, or just want to hang out with the UChicago data
science community, come by the RCC Visualization Lab in the John Crerar
Library <https://rcc.uchicago.edu/resources/visualization> on the following
Thursday afternoons, starting at 3:30 PM:

*August 8: Eamon Duede, Committee on Conceptual and Historical Studies of
Science and Philosophy*

How to use shallow neural network *Word Embeddings* to capture the context
of science, scholarship, and society

*August 22: Marynia Kolak, Center for Spatial Data Science*

How to extend dimension reduction and multivariate clustering techniques
for spatial data in *GeoDa*, with *PostGIS* and *R* connections

*September 5: Peter Carbonetto, Research Computing Center*

How we use *git*, *GitHub*, *R Markdown* and a new *R* package, *workflowr*,
to encourage collaboration and develop reproducible research code

*Location*: The Visualization Lab is located in the Media Arts Data and
Design Center on the first floor of the John Crerar Library, 5730 S. Ellis
Avenue. We’ll provide refreshments. Hope to see you there!

- Center for Data and Computing <http://cdac.uchicago.edu>

--
*Rob Mitchum*

*Associate Director of Communications for Data Science and Computing*
*University of Chicago*
*rmitchum at uchicago.edu <rmitchum at ci.uchicago.edu>*
*773-484-9890*