[Colloquium] Thursday 4/25 | Andrey Rzhetsky at the Computational Social Science Workshop

Nora Nickels nnickels at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 22 17:42:38 CDT 2019

THE COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP PRESENTSANDREY RZHETSKYEDNA K.
PAPAZIAN PROFESSOR OF MEDICINE AND HUMAN GENETICS, CO-CHIEF OF SECTION OF
COMPUTATIONAL BIOMEDICINE AND BIOMEDICAL DATA SCIENCE, SENIOR FELLOW OF THE
INSTITUTE FOR GENOMICS AND SYSTEMS BIOLOGYTHE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

The Computational Social Science Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>at the University
of Chicago cordially invites you to attend this week’s talk:

COMPUTATIONAL ADVENTURES WITH LARGE DATASETS
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/andrey_rzhetsky>

time on parts that resonate with the audience. I will introduce our recent
study analyzing phenotypic data harvested from over 175 million unique
patients. We use them to 1) estimate the heritability and familial
environmental patterns of diseases, and 2) infer the genetic and
environmental correlations between disease pairs from a set of complex
diseases. I am particularly interested in inferring objective
classifications of diseases (based on a formal optimization criterion),
separately from environmental and genetic factors. I will then show how the
same data can be used for spatial analysis of disease prevalence (with
several examples, including “many Americas” analysis in medications use).
Finally, I will give an example of practical application of computational
analysis (asthma and sepsis story).

THURSDAY, 4/25/201911:00AM-12:20PMKENT 120

A light lunch will be provided by Good Earth Catering Company.

Andrey Rzhetsky is an Edna K. Papazian Professor of Medicine and Human
Genetics, at the University of Chicago, and a co-Chief of Section of
Computational Biomedicine and Biomedical Data Science. He is also a
Pritzker Scholar, and a Senior Fellow the Institute for Genomics and
Systems Biology at the University of Chicago. His research is focused on
computational dissection of etiology of complex human diseases.

Some suggested background:

   - Attached in Repository: Patchwork of contrasting medication cultures
   across the USA
   <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/andrey_rzhetsky/blob/master/Rachel-many-Americas-2018.pdf>
   - Attached in Repository: Classification of common human diseases
   derived from shared genetic and environmental determinants
   <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/andrey_rzhetsky/blob/master/Wang-NG-2017.pdf>
   - Attached in Repository: Preexisting Type 2 Immune Activation Protects
   against the Development of Sepsis
   <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/andrey_rzhetsky/blob/master/Asthma-sepsis2017.pdf>

------------------------------

The 2018-2019 Computational Social Science Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>meets Thursdays
from 11 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. in Kent 120. All interested faculty and graduate
students are welcome.

Students in the Masters of Computational Social Science program are
expected to attend and join the discussion by posting a comment on the issues
page
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/andrey_rzhetsky/issues>of
the workshop’s public repository on GitHub.
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/andrey_rzhetsky> Further
instructions are documented in the Computational Social Science
Workshop’s README
on Github. <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/README>