[Colloquium] Today ~ Machine Learning Seminar ~ Mesrob Ohannessian

Annie Simmons simmons3 at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 10 11:30:36 CDT 2019

University of Chicago and Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
Machine Learning Seminar Series

Mesrob Ohannessian
TTIC

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Harper Center (Booth) Room C25

Title:
From Fair Decisions to Social Benefit

Abstract:
Using data efficiently is no longer our only burden. As automated decisions in socio-technical systems affect more lives than ever, it is imperative that we also use data responsibly. Being non-discriminatory and fair is one such responsibility. To date, explorations of fairness in intelligent decision systems have mostly ignored long-term influence on the underlying population. In this talk I give a first comprehensive perspective of this problem. Among the various insights I provide is quantifying both sides of the mismatch hypothesis: when can we hope that affirmative action is indeed beneficial to society?

Bio:
Mesrob I. Ohannessian is a Research Assistant Professor at the Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago. He was previously a postdoc at UCSD, MSR-Inria, and Université Paris-Sud. He received his PhD in EECS from MIT. His research interests are in machine learning, statistics, information theory, and their applications, particularly to problems marked by data scarcity and to decisions that affect society.

Host:  Rebecca Willett

Annie Simmons
Project Assistant IV
Computer Science Department
John Crerar Library Building
5730 S. Ellis
Chicago, IL 60637
773.834.2750
773.702.8487
simmons3 at cs.uchicago.edu

“The dream is free the hustle is sold separately"