[Colloquium] 4/12 Research at TTIC: Sam Wiseman, TTIC

Alicia McClarin amcclarin at ttic.edu
Sun Apr 7 10:32:44 CDT 2019

*When:*      Friday, April 12th. Refreshments at noon. Talk begins at 12:20
.

*Where:*    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *      Sam Wiseman, TTIC

*Title: *      Deep Latent Variable Models and Text Generation

*Abstract:* There has been tremendous progress over the past several years
in both learning probabilistic latent variable models parameterized by deep
networks as well as in building effective text generation systems. In this
talk I'll argue that these areas are naturally complementary, and I'll
discuss some recent work on semi-amortized variational inference, which
mitigates some known issues with learning deep latent variable models of
text. I'll also discuss recent work on data-to-text generation, and in
particular on inducing latent, discrete template-like objects from text,
which allow for controllable and interpretable conditional text generation.

*Research at TTIC Seminar Series*

TTIC is hosting a weekly seminar series presenting the research currently
underway at the Institute. Every week a different TTIC faculty member will
present their research.  The lectures are intended both for students
seeking research topics and adviser, and for the general TTIC and
University of Chicago communities interested in hearing what their
colleagues are up to.

To receive announcements about the seminar series, please subscribe to the
mailing list: https://groups.google.com/a/ttic.edu/group/talks/subscribe

Speaker details can be found at: http://www.ttic.edu/tticseminar.php.

For additional questions, please contact Nathan Srebro at nati at ttic.edu
<mcallester at ttic.edu>

--
*Alicia McClarin*
*Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago*