[Colloquium] Thursday 4/4 | Amos Golan at the Computational Social Science Workshop

Nora Nickels nnickels at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 1 10:17:05 CDT 2019

THE COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP (MACSS) AND THE WORKSHOP ON
QUANTITATIVE RESEARCH METHODS IN EDUCATION, HEALTH, AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
(QMEHSS) PRESENTAMOS GOLANPROFESSOR OF ECONOMICS AND DIRECTOR OF
INFO-METRICS INSTITUTEAMERICAN UNIVERSITY

The Computational Social Science Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>at the University
of Chicago cordially invites you to attend this week’s talk:

INFORMATION, MODELING AND INFERENCE: THE INFO-METRICS FRAMEWORK
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/amos_golan>

often fails to produce correct predictions. Uncertainty, blurry evidence
and multiple possible solutions may trip up even the best interrogator.
Info-metrics – the science of modeling, reasoning, and drawing inferences
under conditions of noisy and insufficient information – provides a
consistent and efficient framework for constructing models and theories
with minimal assumptions. It reveals the simplest solution, model or story,
that is hidden in the observed information. My talk will be based on my new
book ‘Foundations of Info-Metrics: Modeling, Inference, and Imperfect
Information,’ http://info-metrics.org/ in which I develop and examine the
theoretical underpinning of info-metrics and provide extensive
interdisciplinary applications. In this talk I will discuss the basic ideas
via a small number of graphical representations of the model and theory and
will then present a number of interdisciplinary real-world examples of
using that framework for modeling and inference.

THURSDAY, 4/4/201911:00AM-12:20PMKENT 120

A light lunch will be provided by Cedar’s.

Amos Golan is a Professor in the Department of Economics and Director of
the Info-Metrics Institute at American University. His main area of
research is information, information processing and optimal decision rules
based on efficient use of information (Info-Metrics). Golan is an External
Professor at the Santa Fe Institute, as well as a Senior Associate at
Pembroke College in Oxford.

Suggested background:

   - Attached in Repository: Info‐Metrics for Modeling and Inference.
   <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/amos_golan/blob/master/Golan2018_Article_Info-MetricsForModelingAndInfe_Paper.pdf>
   - Attached in Repository: Interval estimation: An information theoretic
   approach.
   <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/amos_golan/blob/master/IntervalAmosAman_ER_2017_Golan_paper.pdf>

The 2018-2019 Computational Social Science Workshop
<https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop>meets Thursdays
from 11 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. in Kent 120. All interested faculty and graduate
students are welcome.

Students in the Masters of Computational Social Science program are
expected to attend and join the discussion by posting a comment on the issues
page  <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/amos_golan/issues>of
the workshop’s public repository on GitHub.
<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/amos_golan> Further
instructions are documented in the Computational Social Science
Workshop’s README
on Github. <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/README>