[Colloquium] REMINDER: 10/29 TTIC Colloquium: Christian Szegedy, Google

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:18:56 CDT 2018

*When:    *  Monday, October 29th at 11:00 am

*Where:     *TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who:        *Christian Szegedy, Google

*Title:     *    Deep Learning for Formal Reasoning

*Abstract:* In the past few years, deep learning has been instrumental for
breakthrough results in various machine perception and natural language
processing tasks, including computer vision, speech understanding and
synthesis as well as in automated translation. Convolutional neural
networks were the key components for super-human computer go systems. In
this talk, I will present our recent work on proof automation in the
HOL-light higher order interactive theorem prover, where we utilized
current deep learning techniques. Also I will talk about our first attempts
at creating semantically more meaningful text embeddings that seem to be
helpful for reading comprehension from large, unstructured knowledge bases.
Automating mathematics is a tough, long term research goal and here I will
present our two-pronged approach: Strong automated theorem proving lacks
training data, because most of mathematics is present only in informal
natural language literature. Our plan is to attack both automated formal
theorem proving and automated formalization at the same time with the
vision of creating an artificial mathematician that is capable of reading
and arguing about mathematics at a human level, while being able to
communicate in natural language.

Host: David McAllester <mcallester at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php