[Colloquium] REMINDER: 10/17 TTIC Young Researcher Series: Maithra Raghu, Cornell University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 17 10:29:39 CDT 2018

*Young Researcher Seminar Series*

[image: image.png]
*When:  *   Wednesday, October 17th at *11:00 am*

*Where:  *  TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *       Maithra Raghu, Cornell University

*Title: * Insights on Deep Representations with Applications to
Healthcare *Abstract:
* The past few years have seen enormous successes in applying deep neural
networks in a variety of domains, from speech recognition to healthcare.
However, as these models become more complex and are simultaneously used
for more sensitive applications, it becomes increasingly important to
better understand and intuit the properties of deep representations. In
this talk I overview our development of Canonical Correlation Analysis
(SVCCA) as a tool to study and compare latent representations learned by
deep neural networks. The results provide insights on learning dynamics,
help identify where different concepts are learned, and enable measuring
the similarity of generalizing and memorizing networks. I demonstrate the
importance of representational considerations in model design via a task on
predicting doctor disagreements in a healthcare setting.
Host: Nathan Srebro <nati at ttic.edu>

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu)

.