[Colloquium] REMINDER: 10/4 TTIC Colloquium: Mari Ostendorf, University of Washington

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 3 11:57:26 CDT 2018

*10/4 TTIC Colloquium*  *(PLEASE NOTE SPECIAL DAY!)*

[image: image.png]

*When:    *  *Thursday, October 4th at 11:00 am*

*Where:     *TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who:        *Mari Ostendorf: University of Washington

*Title:    *    Understanding the User in Socialbot Conversations

*Abstract:* Much past research on human-computer dialog has addressed
task-oriented scenarios, but there is growing interest in building systems
with social interaction capabilities, from companionship chitchat to
information and opinion exchange. For systems that emphasize social
interaction (e.g. a socialbot), user modeling can be especially important
-- people have different tastes in conversation topics as well as different
interaction styles. This talk looks at the user in spoken interactions
enabled by Sounding Board, a socialbot developed for the 2017 Amazon Alexa
Prize competition, which enabled collection of millions of conversations
with real users. We describe mechanisms for characterizing user variation
and first steps towards predicting conversational preferences.

*Host:  <klivescu at ttic.edu>*Karen Livescu <klivescu at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php