[Colloquium] Reminder: Coregliano/MS Presentation/Nov 19, 2018

Margaret Jaffey via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 16 09:20:53 CST 2018

This is a reminder about Leonardo Nagami Coregliano's MS Presentation
on Monday.

Date:  Monday, November 19, 2018

Time:  1:30 PM

Place:  John Crerar Library 390

M.S. Candidate:  Leonardo Coregliano

M.S. Paper Title: Semantic Limits of Combinatorial Objects

Abstract:
The theory of limits of discrete combinatorial objects has been
thriving for the last decade or so. The syntactic, algebraic approach
to the subject is popularly known as "flag algebras", while the
semantic, geometric one is often associated with the name "graph
limits". The language of graph limits is generally more intuitive and
expressible, but a price that one has to pay for it is that it is best
suited for the case of ordinary graphs rather than for more general
combinatorial objects. Accordingly, there have been several attempts
in the literature, of varying degree of generality, to define actual
limit objects for more complicated combinatorial structures.

This thesis is another attempt at a workable general theory of limit
objects. Unlike previous efforts in this direction, we base our
account on the same (quite rudimentary) concepts from the first-order
logic and the model theory as in the theory of flag algebras.

We show how our definition naturally encompasses a host of previously
considered cases (graphons, hypergraphons, digraphons, permutons,
colored graphs, etc.), and we extend the fundamental existence and
uniqueness properties to this more general case. We also give an
intuitive general proof of the continuous version of the Induced
Removal Lemma that was previously known for specific situations. We
capitalize on the notion of an open interpretation that often allows
to transfer methods and results from one situation to another. Again,
we show that some previous arguments can be quite naturally framed
using this language.

This thesis is based on a joint work with Alexander A. Razborov.

Leonardo's advisor is Prof. Alexander Razborov

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#lenacore

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu