[Colloquium] REMINDER: 11/12 TTIC Colloquium: Sariel Har-Peled, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 12 10:16:42 CST 2018

*When:    *  Monday, November 12th at 11:00 am

*Where:     *TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who:        *Sariel Har-Peled, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

*Title:*        On Locality-Sensitive Orderings and their Applications

*Abstract:*  For any constant d and parameter ε>0, we show the
existence of (roughly)
1/ε^d orderings on the unit cube [0,1)^d, such that any two points
p,q∈[0,1)^d that are close together under the Euclidean metric are "close
together" in one of these linear orderings in the following sense: the only
points that could lie between p and q in the ordering are points with
Euclidean distance at most ε∥p−q∥ from p or q. These orderings are
extensions of the Z-order, and they can be efficiently computed.
Functionally, the orderings can be thought of as a replacement to quadtrees
and related structures (like well-separated pair decompositions). We use
such orderings to obtain surprisingly simple algorithms for a number of basic
problems in low-dimensional computational geometry, including (i) dynamic
approximate bichromatic closest pair, (ii) dynamic spanners, (iii) dynamic
approximate minimum spanning trees, (iv) static and dynamic fault-tolerant
spanners, and (v) approximate nearest neighbor search.

Joint work with Timothy M. Chan and Mitchell Jones
https://arxiv.org/abs/1809.11147

*Host: * Avrim Blum <avrim at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list,please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php