[Colloquium] Reminder: Yang/MS Presentation/May 14, 2018

Margaret Jaffey via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu May 10 16:27:13 CDT 2018

This is a reminder about Junwen's MS Presentation on Monday.

Date:  Monday, May 14, 2018

Time:  9:30 AM

Place:  Ryerson 276

M.S. Candidate:  Junwen Yang

M.S. Paper Title: How not to structure your database-backed web
applications: a study of performance bugs in the wild

Abstract:
Many web applications use databases for persistent data storage, and
using Object Relational Mapping (ORM) frameworks is a common way to
develop such database-backed web appli- cations. Unfortunately,
developing efficient ORM applications is challenging, as the ORM
framework hides the underlying database query generation and
execution. This problem is becoming more severe as these applications
need to process an increasingly large amount of persistent data.
Recent research has targeted specific aspects of performance problems
in ORM applications. However, there has not been any systematic study
to identify com- mon performance anti-patterns in real-world such
applications, how they affect resulting application performance, and
remedies for them. In this paper, we try to answer these questions
through a comprehensive study of 12 representative real-world ORM
applications. We generalize 9 ORM performance anti-patterns from more
than 200 performance issues that we obtain by studying their
bug-tracking sys- tems and profiling their latest versions. To prove
our point, we manually fix 64 performance issues in their latest
versions and obtain a median speedup of 2× (and up to 39× max) with
fewer than 5 lines of code change in most cases. Many of the issues we
found have been confirmed by developers, and we have implemented ways
to identify other code fragments with similar issues as well.

Junwen's advisor is Prof. Shan Lu

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#junwen

Margaret P. Jaffey            margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 156)               (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu