[Colloquium] REMINDER: 5/9 Talks at TTIC: Abhishek Das, Georgia Institute of Technology

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed May 9 10:19:34 CDT 2018

 *When:  *   Wednesday, May 9th at *10**:30 am*

*Where: *   TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *      Abhishek Das, Georgia Institute of Technology

*Title: *       Connecting Vision and Language to Actions

*Abstract:* Building intelligent agents that possess the ability to
perceive the rich visual environment around us, communicate this
understanding in natural language to humans and other agents, and execute
actions in a physical environment, is a long-term goal of Artificial
Intelligence. In this talk, I will present some of my recent work at
various points on this spectrum in connecting vision and language to
actions; from Visual Dialog (CVPR17, ICCV17, HCOMP17) -- where we develop
models capable of holding free-form visually-grounded natural language
conversation towards a downstream goal and ways to evaluate them -- to
Embodied Question Answering (CVPR18) -- where we augment these models to
actively navigate in simulated environments and gather visual information
necessary for answering questions.

*Bio: *Abhishek Das is a Computer Science PhD student at Georgia Institute
of Technology, advised by Dhruv Batra, and working closely with Devi
Parikh. He is interested in deep learning and its applications in building
agents that can see (computer vision), think (reasoning &
interpretability), talk (language modeling) and act (reinforcement
learning). He is a recipient of an Adobe Research Fellowship and a Snap
Research Fellowship. He has held internship positions at Queensland Brain
Institute (Winter 2013, Winter 2014), Virginia Tech (Fall 2015) and
Facebook AI Research (Summer 2017, Winter 2018). He graduated from Indian
Institute of Technology Roorkee in 2015 with a Bachelor's degree in
Electrical Engineering.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>