[Colloquium] REMINDER: 3/29 Talks at TTIC: Ramakrishna Vedantam, Georgia Tech

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:18:03 CDT 2018

 When:     Thursday, March 29th at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who:       *Ramakrishna Vedantam, Georgia Tech

Title: Connecting Vision and Language for Interpretation, Grounding and
Imagination

Abstract:
Understanding how to model vision and language jointly is a long-standing
challenge in artificial intelligence. Vision is one of the primary sensors
we use to perceive the world, while language is our data structure to
represent and communicate knowledge. In this talk, we will take up three
lines of attack to this problem: interpretation, grounding, and imagination.

In interpretation, the goal will be to get machine learning models to
understand an image and describe its contents using natural language in a
contextually relevant manner. In grounding, we will connect natural
language to referents in the physical world, and show how this can help
learn common sense. Finally, we will study how to ‘imagine’ visual concepts
completely and accurately across the full range and (potentially unseen)
compositions of their visual attributes. We will study these problems from
computational as well as algorithmic perspectives and suggest exciting
directions for future work.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>