[Colloquium] REMINDER: 3/28 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Andrew Owens, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 27 12:07:56 CDT 2018

 When:     Wednesday, March 28th at *10:30 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Andrew Owens, UC Berkeley

Title:        Learning Sight from Sound

Abstract:
>From the clink of a mug placed onto a saucer to the bustle of a busy cafe,
our days are filled with visual experiences that are accompanied by
distinctive sounds.  In this talk, we show that these sounds can provide a
rich training signal for learning visual models.  First, we propose the
task of predicting what sound an object makes when struck as a way of
studying physical interactions within a visual scene.  We demonstrate this
idea by training an algorithm to produce plausible soundtracks for videos
in which people hit and scratch objects with a drumstick.  Second, we show
that ambient audio -- e.g., crashing waves, people speaking in a crowd --
can also be used to learn visual models.  We train a convolutional neural
network to predict a statistical summary of the sounds that occur within a
scene, and we demonstrate that the learned visual representation conveys
information about objects and scenes. Finally, we present an unsupervised
learning method for training multi-modal networks that fuse audio and
visual data, and apply the learned representation to a number of
audio-visual learning tasks.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).