[Colloquium] 6/8 TTIC Student Talk: Bowen Shi

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 1 11:08:44 CDT 2018

 When:     Friday, June 8th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor; Room 526

Who:       Bowen Shi

Title:       Fingerspelling Recognition in the Wild

Abstract: Most work on sign language recognition is focused on controlled
settings where the data is recorded in a studio environment and the number
of signers is limited. A common recognition pipeline is composed of hand
detection, hand segmentation and recognition of continuous handshape
sequences. In this talk I will talk about our ongoing work on
fingerspelling recognition of American Sign Language (ASL) videos collected
in the wild, mainly from YouTube and Deaf social media. To address
real-life challenges, we propose an end-to-end model based on neural
attention mechanism without hand detection/segmentation and a new approach
for obtaining high-res regions of interest while limiting computation,
which outperforms a baseline based on prior work by a large margin.

Advisor: Karen Livescu <klivescu at ttic.edu>