[Colloquium] 2/5 Talks at TTIC: Jieming Mao, Princeton University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 30 09:47:38 CST 2018

When:     Monday, February 5th at *10:30 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Jieming Mao, Princeton University

Title:       Algorithms in Strategic or Noisy Environments

Abstract: Algorithms are sometimes used in strategic or noisy environments.
These factors can completely change the solutions of the problems.

In this talk, I am going to talk about two projects. In the first one, we
study the problem of a seller repeatedly selling goods to a learning buyer.
We characterize whether a fully strategic seller can extract additional
revenue from a buyer who no-regret learns over time. In the second project,
we study the problem of finding top-k items with pairwise comparisons.
Motivated by applications like crowdsourcing, we assume the pairwise
comparisons are noisy and we evaluate algorithms based both on the number
of samples and the number of interactive rounds.

Based on joint work with Mark Braverman, Jon Schneider and Matt Weinberg.

Host: Madhur Tulsiani <madhurt at ttic.edu>