[Colloquium] THURSDAY JAN 18 - ANNA MUELLER at the Computational Social Science Workshop

Joshua Mausolf via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 15 14:53:14 CST 2018

THE COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP PRESENTS
ANNA MUELLER
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, DEPARTMENT OF COMPARATIVE HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

The Computational Social Science Workshop <https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop> at the University of Chicago cordially invites you to attend this week’s talk:

WHY NETWORKS MATTER TO SUICIDE: EXAMINING THE CULTURAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SUICIDE DIFFUSION IN ADOLESCENCE<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/anna_mueller/blob/master/2018__mueller__suicide_diffusion_in_adolescence.pdf>

Abstract: Research suggests that suicide can socially diffuse through social contexts, particularly in adolescence; however, little is known about the mechanisms that facilitate this diffusion. Using data from an in-depth case study of a community with a youth suicide problem (N=117), we examine how suicide became a more imaginable option for youth after repeated exposures in a socially-cohesive environment. Specifically, we found that the suicide deaths of high-status youth generated new locally-generalized meanings for suicide that reinterpreted broadly shared adolescent experiences (exposure to stress) as a cause of suicide. This facilitated youth’s ability to imagine suicide as something someone like them could do to escape. We discuss the implications of our findings for (1) theories of social diffusion, which tend to neglect the important cultural processes embedded in networks, and (2) youth suicide prevention and public health. We also illustrate why multiple methodologies are necessary to advancing robust population health science.

THURSDAY, 1/18/2018
11:00AM-12:20PM
KENT 120

A light lunch will be provided by Papa John’s.

Anna S. Mueller is a sociologist whose research examines how social relationships and social contexts shape adolescent health and wellbeing over the transition to adulthood. She is also interested in how schools, as social organizations, shape social relationships and opportunities to learn, thereby affecting the life chances of children. Her conceptual research interests are matched by her methodological interests in social network analysis, multi-level modeling, and in-depth qualitative case studies of adolescent societies.

The 2017-2018 Computational Social Science Workshop <https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop> meets each Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. in Kent 120. All interested faculty and graduate students are welcome.

Students in the Masters of Computational Social Science program are expected to attend and join the discussion by posting a comment on the issues page <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/anna_mueller/issues> of the workshop’s public repository on GitHub.<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/anna_mueller> Further instructions are documented in the Computational Social Science Workshop’s README on Github.<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/README>