[Colloquium] Re: 3/1 Talks at TTIC: Mike Roberts, Stanford University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 28 13:56:36 CST 2018

 When:     Thursday, March 1st at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Mike Roberts, Stanford University

Title:       Trajectory Optimization Methods for Drone Cameras

Abstract: Drone cameras are now being deployed in a wide range of
applications, including Hollywood filmmaking, search and rescue, wildlife
monitoring, and large-scale 3D scanning. However, drones remain difficult
to control, both for humans and for computers. In this talk, I will present
a variety of trajectory optimization methods that make it easier for people
to use drone cameras. I will focus specifically on two different
applications, cinematography and 3D scanning. First, I will present an
interactive tool for designing drone camera shots, focusing on the key
insights and trajectory optimization algorithms that inform its design. I
will show examples of ambitious aerial cinematography that have been
created using this tool, by users with absolutely no experience flying
drones. Second, I will present an end-to-end drone camera system for
high-quality aerial 3D scanning. I will focus on the trajectory
optimization algorithms that power the system, and I will demonstrate that
these algorithms enable the system to reconstruct large real-world scenes
with unprecedented accuracy.

Bio: Mike Roberts is a sixth-year PhD candidate in the Computer Graphics
Laboratory at Stanford University advised by Pat Hanrahan. Mike’s work is
at the intersection of computer graphics, computer vision, and robotics,
where he focuses on using drones to support human creativity. Mike has
interned at Microsoft Research, Skydio, and Harvard University. In 2013,
Mike co-developed the Introduction to Parallel Programming course at
Udacity, which has enrolled over 80,000 students.

Host: Matthew Walter <mwalter at ttic.edu>