[Colloquium] CS Seminar Feb 28: Gao Huang, Cornell University

Sandra Wallace via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 23 09:15:39 CST 2018

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
PRESENTS

Gao Huang
Cornell University

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Ryerson 251

Title:  On the Redundancy in Deep Learning

Abstract:
As one of the most popular techniques in artificial intelligence, deep learning has been widely used for computer vision, natural language processing, robotics, etc.  On specific tasks, it has achieved or even surpassed human-level performance.  However, the strong generalization ability of deep learning is still not well understood by the community.  Why can such over-parameterized neural networks generalize well?

In this talk, I will show that deep networks have considerable redundancy - although they are parameterized by millions of parameters, they may not use them effectively.  I will first introduce a simple algorithm that reveals the parameter redundancy in deep residual networks and show that redundancy indeed helps improving generalization.  From the practical viewpoint, redundancy is problematic as it increases computational cost.  I will then present a novel network architecture that has less redundancy yet with strong generalization ability.  Finally, I will introduce an adaptive evaluation method that reduces redundant computation for each individual sample.

Bio:
Gao Huang is a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science at Cornell University, where he works on deep learning and computer vision with Professor Kilian Weinberger.  Before joining Cornell, he did his PhD at Tsinghua University.  His work on DenseNet won the Best Paper Award at CVPR 2017.

Host:  Risi Kondor

Refreshments served after the talk in Ry. 255

Link to PDF:  https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/sites/cs/files/uploads/seminar_announcements/Huang%20poster.pdf <https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/sites/cs/files/uploads/seminar_announcements/Huang%20poster.pdf>