[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/22 Talks at TTIC: Saurabh Gupta, UC Berkeley

James Vann via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:21:21 CST 2018

 When:     Thursday, February 22nd at *11:00am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526
<https://maps.google.com/?q=6045+S+Kenwood+Avenue,+5th+Floor,+Room+526&entry=gmail&source=g>

Who:       Saurabh Gupta, UC Berkeley

Title:       Visual Perception and Navigation in 3D Scenes

Abstract: In recent times, computer vision has made great leaps towards 2D
understanding of sparse visual snapshots of the world. This is insufficient
for robots that need to exist and act in the 3D world around them based on
a continuous stream of multi-modal inputs. In this talk, I will present
some of my efforts in bridging this gap between computer vision and
robotics. I will show how thinking about computer vision and robotics
together, brings out limitations of current computer vision tasks and
techniques, and motivates joint perception and action solutions for robotic
tasks. I will showcase these aspects via three examples: representation
learning for varied modalities, 3D scene understanding, and visual
navigation. I will conclude by pointing out future research directions at
the intersection of computer vision and robotics, and how the two fields
are ready to get back together.

Bio: Saurabh Gupta is a Ph.D. student at UC Berkeley, where he is advised
by Jitendra Malik. His research interests include computer vision, robotics
and machine learning. His PhD work focuses on 3D scene understanding, and
visual navigation. His work is supported by a Berkeley Fellowship and a
Google Fellowship in Computer Vision.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>

*6045 S. Kenwood Avenue
<https://maps.google.com/?q=6045+S.+Kenwood+Avenue_Room+504_+_Chicago,+IL+%C2%A060637_&entry=gmail&source=g>*
*Room 504
<https://maps.google.com/?q=6045+S.+Kenwood+Avenue_Room+504_+_Chicago,+IL+%C2%A060637_&entry=gmail&source=g>*
*Chicago, IL  60637
<https://maps.google.com/?q=6045+S.+Kenwood+Avenue_Room+504_+_Chicago,+IL+%C2%A060637_&entry=gmail&source=g>*
*p:(773) 834-1757 <(773)%20834-1757>*
*f: (773) 357-6970 <(773)%20357-6970>*

--
James J. Vann
*Staff Accountant*

Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
6045 S. Kenwood Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637