[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/20 Talks at TTIC: Adith Swaminathan, Microsoft Research AI

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 20 10:49:21 CST 2018

 When:     Tuesday, February 20th at *11:00am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Adith Swaminathan, Microsoft Research AI

Title:       Learning from Logged Bandit Feedback

Abstract: Many impactful applications of machine learning are not just
about prediction, but are about putting learning systems in control of
selecting the right action at the right time (e.g., search engines,
recommender systems or automated trading platforms). These systems are both
producers and users of data -- the logs of the selected actions and their
outcomes (e.g., derived from clicks, ratings or revenue) can provide
valuable training data for learning the next generation of the system,
giving rise to some of the biggest datasets we have collected. Machine
learning in these settings is challenging since the system in operation
biases the log data through the actions it selects and outcomes remain
unknown for the actions not taken. Learning methods must, hence, reason
about how changes to the system will affect future outcomes. We will
summarize recent advances in these counterfactual learning techniques, and
demonstrate how deep neural networks can be trained in these settings
(ICLR’18).

Joint work with Thorsten Joachims and Maarten de Rijke.

Bio: Adith Swaminathan is a researcher in the Reinforcement Learning group
at Microsoft Research AI (Redmond). He studies techniques for
counterfactual reasoning in learning systems -- applications include
off-policy reinforcement learning, contextual bandits and understanding the
biases that confound user interaction data. He completed his PhD at Cornell
University (2017) and received a BTech from IIT Bombay (2010).

Host: Shubhendu Trivedi <shubhendu at ttic.edu>