[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/14 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Lisa Anne Hendricks, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:00:39 CST 2018

 When:     Wednesday, February 14th at 10:30 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Lisa Anne Hendricks, UC Berkeley

*Title*:  Look, Listen, and Speak: Vision Systems that Communicate with
Natural Language

Abstract: Powered by deep convolutional networks and large scale visual
datasets, modern visual systems are capable of accurately recognizing
thousands of visual categories.  However, images and videos contain so much
more than categorical labels: they contain information about where objects
are located (in a forest or in a kitchen?), what attributes an object has
(red or blue?), and how objects interact with other objects in a scene (is
the child sitting on a sofa, or running in a field?).  Natural language
provides an efficient and intuitive way for vision systems to convey
important information about a visual scene. In this talk, I will begin by
discussing vision systems that "look and speak". In particular, I will
consider how to create more scalable image captioning systems by
integrating external data sources. I will then discuss vision systems that
"listen and look". I will introduce the task of moment localization in
videos with natural language and detail my effort to collect a large scale
dataset for this task. Finally, natural language provides a way for vision
systems to not only discuss what is in a scene, but how objects and
attributes in an image support a decision, such as a classification
decision. I will discuss vision systems that go beyond naming objects in a
scene and can generate visual explanations which justify neural network
decisions.

Bio: Lisa Anne Hendricks is a Ph.D. candidate in the Electrical Engineering
and Computer Science department at the University of California at
Berkeley. She is a member of the Berkeley Artificial Intelligence Research
(BAIR) lab and is advised by Trevor Darrell. In 2013 she received her
B.S.E.E. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Rice University (summa
cum laude).  Her research interests span deep learning, computer vision,
and natural language processing.  Her Ph.D. work has focused on building
deep learning models which can both express information about visual
content using natural language and retrieve visual information given
natural language queries.  She has been awarded an NDSEG fellowship, UC
Berkeley Chancellor's Fellowship, Huawei Fellowship, and Adobe Fellowship.
Lisa Anne was co-president of Women in Computer Science and Engineering
(WICSE) at UC Berkeley during the 2015-2016 school year and co-organized
the second Women in Computer Vision (WiCV) workshop at CVPR 2016.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).