[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/12 Talks at TTIC: Michael Yu, UC San Diego

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 12 10:06:38 CST 2018

*When:     Monday, February 12th at 10:30 amWhere:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood
Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526Who:       Michael Yu, UC San DiegoTitle*:
 Hierarchical Modeling of Biological Systems

*Abstract*: Biological systems are hierarchically organized at multiple
scales:  changes to genes and proteins (1-10nm) affect the functions of
protein complexes and cellular processes (10-100nm), which ultimately alter
the behaviors of cells (1-10um) and individuals (>1m). While some of this
hierarchical structure is known by manual curation, I will show how it can
also be discovered in a data-driven manner by integrating millions of
experimental results, revealing new biology unknown to even experts. I will
also discuss ongoing algorithmic challenges in hierarchical modeling of
biological systems and how they apply to other domains like natural
language. Next, I will show how hierarchical structure can enable more
interpretable machine learning models of complex behaviors like cell growth.

*Bio*: Michael Yu recently finished his PhD in bioinformatics at UC San
Diego, where he developed new methods in network biology with his advisor
Trey Ideker and was a fellow at the San Diego Center for Systems Biology.
Previously, he received his B.S. and M.Eng. in computer science at MIT,
where he studied comparative genomics and RNA structure under the direction
of Bonnie Berger.

*Host:*  Jinbo Xu    <j3xu at ttic.edu>