[Colloquium] REMINDER: 2/1 Talks at TTIC: Jacob Andreas, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 1 10:05:19 CST 2018

 When:     Thursday, February 1st at *11:00 am*

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Jacob Andreas, UC Berkeley

Title:        Learning from Language

Abstract: Human language is built from a library of concepts and
compositional operators. These, in turn, provide a rich source of
information about the kinds of abstractions that humans use to navigate the
world. Can this information help us build better machine learning models?
In this talk, we'll explore three different ways of using language to
support learning: as a source of structure for question answering models,
as a scaffold for fast and generalizable reinforcement learning, and as a
tool for understanding the representations computed by general classes of
neural networks.

Bio: Jacob Andreas is a fifth-year PhD student at UC Berkeley. His current
research focuses on using natural language to more effectively train and
understand machine learning models. Jacob received a B.S. from Columbia in
2012 and an M.Phil. from Cambridge in 2013. He received paper awards at
NAACL 2016 and ICML 2017. He was a Churchill scholar from 2012--13, an NSF
graduate fellow from 2013--2016, a Huawei--Berkeley AI fellow from
2016--2017, and is currently supported by a Facebook fellowship.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>