[Colloquium] REMINDER: 12/3 TTIC Colloquium: Douglas Downey, Northwestern University

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 3 10:27:02 CST 2018

*When:    *  Monday, December 3rd at 11:00 am

*Where:     *TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who:       * Douglas Downey, Northwestern University

*Title:*        Inspecting Word Embeddings with Definition Modeling

*Abstract:* Word embeddings form a foundation for today's natural language
processing systems, and have been shown to encode the syntax and semantics
of terms.  But, exactly what lexical semantics is captured by a given
embedding is often unclear—we typically only observe the semantics
indirectly, through tasks like analogy or word similarity.  In this talk, I
will present definition modeling, which aims to make the semantics of a
given embedding explicit by generating a natural-language definition for
each word conditioned on its embedding.  In experiments, definition models
based on recurrent neural networks are shown to output fluent and accurate
definitions in many cases.  In the second half of the talk, I will
illustrate how the models can be improved using a dynamic regularization
technique that trains an RNN to match given n-gram statistics, which can
reduce for example the excessive repetition often exhibited by RNN text
generators.

Host: Kevin Gimpel <kgimpel at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list,please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php