[Colloquium] REMINDER: 4/30 TTIC Colloquium: Sanjoy Dasgupta, University of California, San Diego

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Sun Apr 29 16:12:15 CDT 2018

 *When:  *   Monday, April 30th at *10:30 am*

*Where: *   TTIC, 6045 S Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

*Who: *      Sanjoy Dasgupta,  University of California, San Diego

*Title:  *     Using Interaction for Simpler and Better Learning

*Abstract:*
In the usual formulation of supervised learning, the learner is given a
stack of labeled examples and told to fit a classifier to them. It would be
quite unnatural for a human to learn in this way, and indeed this model is
known to suffer from a variety of fundamental hardness barriers. Many of
these hurdles can be overcome, however, by moving to a less rigid setup, in
which (1) the learner interacts with a human or other information source
during the learning process and (2) the feedback may be richer than just
labels.

We will see examples of how interaction qualitatively changes the landscape
of what is efficiently learnable, making it possible, for instance, to:

— Perform machine teaching in situations where the student’s concept class
is unknown.

— Learn disjunctive normal form (DNF) concepts.

Our main focus will be on how interaction can improve the results of
unsupervised learning, via a generic approach to “interactive structure
learning” that, for instance, yields simple interactive algorithms for
topic modeling and hierarchical clustering. Along the way, we will present
a novel cost function for hierarchical clustering, as well as an efficient
algorithm for approximately minimizing this cost.

*Bio:*
Sanjoy Dasgupta is a Professor in the Department of Computer Science and
Engineering at UC San Diego. He works on algorithms for machine learning,
with a focus on unsupervised and interactive learning.

*Host:* Avrim Blum <avrim at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list,please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php