[Colloquium] CS Seminar today at 3:30 pm: Theodore Kim, Pixar Animation Studios

Sandra Wallace via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 5 13:49:51 CDT 2018

UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
PRESENTS

Theodore Kim
Pixar Animation Studios

Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Ryerson 251

Title:  Non-Linear Optimization of Visual Phenomena

Abstract:
Non-linear optimization lies at the heart of many visual phenomena in computer graphics, including realistic muscles, flesh, fire, and water. However, when these problems are cast as energy minimizations, several questions must answered. Which energy yields the best visual result? Is the optimization efficient? Is the energy directable?

In this talk, I will present our recent answers to these questions. First, we have found significant visual limitations in the elastic energies used to simulate flesh and muscle in movies and games. We propose an alternative energy that is simple, robust and visually superior. Next, we show that the eigenstructure of this energy can be understood in closed-form, which allows us to optimize arbitrary elasticity models both efficiently and concisely. Additionally, we examine a case where the eigenstructure of a fluid can also be written down in closed form, which allows us to generate previously unseen fluid motions.

These results contribute to a better understanding of the underlying physical and geometric structures. Moreover, they point the way towards more sophisticated numerical methods, increasingly realistic physical models, and new visual phenomena.

Bio:
Theodore Kim is a Senior Research Scientist at Pixar Animation Studios, where he investigates biomechanical solids, fluid dynamics, and selected topics in geometry. Previously, he was an Associate Professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, in Media Arts and Technology (MAT), and Computer Science (CS). He is the recipient of the NSF CAREER Award, multiple Best Paper awards, and a Scientific and Technical Academy Award (SciTech Oscar).

Host:  Fred Chong

Refreshments served after the talk in Ry. 255

Link to PDF:  https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/sites/cs/files/uploads/seminar_announcements/Kim%20poster.pdf <https://www.cs.uchicago.edu/sites/cs/files/uploads/seminar_announcements/Kim%20poster.pdf>