[Colloquium] THURSDAY - OCTOBER 26: Santo Fortunato at the Computational Social Science Workshop

Joshua Mausolf via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 23 09:24:48 CDT 2017

THE COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE WORKSHOP PRESENTS
SANTO FORTUNATO
PROFESSOR IN THE SCHOOL OF INFORMATICS AND COMPUTING, DIRECTOR OF THE CENTER FOR COMPLEX NETWORKS AND SYSTEMS RESEARCH
INDIANA UNIVERSITY - BLOOMINGTON

The Computational Social Science Workshop <https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop> at the University of Chicago cordially invites you to attend this week’s talk:

SCIENCE OF SCIENCE: UNIVERSALITY, REPUTATION, ATTENTION, INFLATION AND NOVELTY<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/santo_fortunato/blob/master/2017__fortunato__science_of_science.pdf>

Abstract: In this seminar I will give an overview of some of our main results in science of science. I will show that the distribution of citation of papers in any discipline can be rescaled to a universal curve, justifying the use of normalized indicators. I will explore the effect of author’s reputation in the impact of her papers and derive some consequences of the exponential growth of scientific output. I will introduce a network-based approach to compute the novelty of a product. Finally I will present an intriguing observation on the dynamics of Nobel Prize conferment.

THURSDAY, 10/26/2017
11:00AM-12:20PM
ROSENWALD HALL 015

A light lunch will be provided by Cedars Mediterranean Kitchen.

Santo Fortunato received his PhD in Theoretical Physics in 2000 at the Department of Physics of the University of Bielefeld, Germany, working on lattice gauge theories, percolation and phenomenology of heavy-ion collisions. He switched to complexity science in 2004, and from 2005 till 2007, he has been a postdoctoral researcher at the School of Informatics and Computing of Indiana University, working in the group of Alessandro Vespignani. From 2007 till 2011 he has been at ISI Foundation in Turin, Italy, first as research scientist then as a scientific leader. In 2011, he became Associate Professor in Complex Systems at the School of Science of Aalto University, Finland. He is currently full professor in the School of Informatics and Computing at Indiana University.

The 2017-2018 Computational Social Science Workshop <https://macss.uchicago.edu/content/computation-workshop> meets each Thursday from 11 to 12:20 p.m. in Rosenwald 015. All interested faculty and graduate students are welcome.

Students in the Masters of Computational Social Science program are expected to attend and join the discussion by posting a comment on the issues page <https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/santo_fortunato/issues> of the workshop’s public repository on GitHub.<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/santo_fortunato> Further instructions are documented in the Computational Social Science Workshop’s README on Github.<https://github.com/uchicago-computation-workshop/README>