[Colloquium] 10/23 Distinguished Lecture Series: Dan Jurafsky, Stanford

Latrice Richards via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 6 08:25:45 CDT 2017

*Distinguished Lecture Series:  Dan Jurafsky, Stanford University*

*Monday, October 23, 2017 at 3:00 pm*

*TTIC*

*6045 S. Kenwood Avenue*

*Room #526​*

*Dan Jurafsky*

Professor of Linguistics and Computer Science

Stanford University

https://web.stanford.edu/~jurafsky/

*Title*: Automatically Extracting Social Meaning from Language

*Abstract*: I describe three lines of research from our lab on
computationally extracting social meaning from language, meaning that takes
into account social relationships between people.  We study interactions
between police and community members in traffic stops recorded in body-worn
camera footage, using language to measure interaction quality, study the
role of race, and draw suggestions for going forward in this fraught area.
We computationally model the language of scientific papers and the networks
of scientists to better understand the role of interdisciplinarity in
scientific innovation and the implications for the history of artificial
intelligence.  And we show how understanding of framing and socio-economic
variables can be extracted from the language of food:  menus, reviews, and
advertising. Together, these studies highlight the importance of social
context for interpreting the latent meanings behind the words we use.

*Bio**: *Dan Jurafsky is Professor and Chair of Linguistics and Professor
of Computer Science, at Stanford University. His research has focused on
the extraction of meaning, intention, and affect from text and speech, on
the processing of Chinese, and on applying natural language processing to
the cognitive and social sciences. Dan is also passionate about NLP
education; he is the co-author of the widely-used textbook “Speech and
Language Processing” and co-taught the first massive open online class on
natural language processing. The recipient of a 2002 MacArthur Fellowship,
Dan is also a 2015 James Beard Award Nominee for his book, “The Language of
Food: A Linguist Reads the Menu”.