[Colloquium] FRIDAY 11am: David Krakauer (Institutional Transition and Evolution)

Eamon Kenneth Duede via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 4 07:52:39 CDT 2017

(Apologies for multiple postings. Please distribute to your communities.)

Join us this Friday at 11am as we welcome David Krakauer, President and William H. Miller Professor of Complex Systems at the Santa Fe Institute.

Title: Principles of institutional transition and evolution

Abstract: Evolutionary theory has, since its creation, sought to address three fundamental facts about life — the diversity of adaptations, the record of large-scale transitions, and the persistence many lineages. Comparable questions lie at the center of interest in institutions — the structure and function of social rules, the factors promoting their transformation, and their tendency towards permanence. Using idealized models of institutional dynamics and computational model of institutional influence, I shall explore some emerging principles of cultural evolution.

Where: Searle Chem Lab, 240A

When: Friday, October 6th, 11am.

Light snacks will be provided.

[cid:image001.png at 01D33CE5.C01DEB80]