[Colloquium] Theory Seminars at Computer Science

Donna Brooms via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 9 10:50:32 CDT 2017

REMINDER:

Departments of Computer Science & Mathematics
Combinatorics & Theory Seminar

Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Ryerson 251 @ 3pm

Erik Waingarten
Columbia University

Title: “On the query complexity of Boolean monotonicity testing”

In this talk, I will discuss recent adaptive lower bounds on the query complexity of testing monotonicity of Boolean functions. The problem asks to minimize the number of queries to an unknown Boolean function a randomized algorithm must make in order to distinguish between the case the function is monotone and then case the function is far from monotone. I will show an Omega(n^{1/3}) lower bound by introducing a new family of random Boolean functions extending Talagrand's random DNFs. This talk is based on joint work with Xi Chen and Jinyu Xie.

Host:  Prof. Li-Yang Tan

Refreshments will be served before the talk in Ry 255.