[Colloquium] REMINDER: 6/7 Young Researcher Seminar Series: Junyoung Chung, Université de Montréal

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 6 12:34:09 CDT 2017

When:     Wednesday, June 7th at 11:00 am

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Junyoung Chung, Université de Montréal

Title:       Towards Hierarchical Multiscale Recurrent Neural Networks and
their Applications

Abstract: The recent resurgence of recurrent neural networks has led to
remarkable advances in various applications including machine translation,
speech recognition, speech synthesis and caption generation. However,
learning both hierarchical and temporal representation has been among the
longstanding challenges of recurrent neural networks. Multiscale recurrent
neural networks have been considered as a promising approach to resolve
this issue, yet there has been a lack of empirical evidence showing that
this type of models can actually capture the temporal dependencies by
discovering the latent hierarchical structure of the sequence.

In this talk, I will talk about my previous works on multiscale recurrent
neural networks. I will show how a deep recurrent neural network with extra
gating units can update its layers with different timescales and discover
the underlying hierarchical structure of the sequences. The hierarchical
multiscale recurrent neural networks have a potential to remove inherent
problems of standard recurrent neural networks. In addition, the learned
hierarchical structures can be useful information to many other downstream
tasks such as extracting story segments for video understanding, adaptively
compressing sequences for speech recognition and extracting sub-task
structures in hierarchical reinforcement learning.

Host: David McAllester <mcallester at ttic.edu>

The TTIC Young Researcher Seminar Series (http://www.ttic.edu/young-
researcher.php) features talks by Ph.D. students and postdocs whose research is
of broad interest to the computer science community. The series provides an
opportunity for early-career researchers to present recent work to and meet
with students and faculty at TTIC and nearby universities.

The seminars are typically held on Wednesdays at 11:00am in TTIC Room 526.

For additional information, please contact Matthew Walter (mwalter at ttic.edu
).