[Colloquium] 7/11 TTIC Colloquium: Michal Irani, Weizmann Institute

Mary Marre via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 3 16:58:14 CDT 2017

*PLEASE NOTE: SPECIAL DAY*

When:    * Tuesday**,* July 11th at 11:00 a.m.

Where:    TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, 5th Floor, Room 526

Who:       Michal Irani, Weizmann Institute

Title:       “Blind” Visual Inference

Abstract:   In this talk I will show how “blind” visual inference can be
performed by *exploiting the internal redundancy* inside a single visual
datum (whether an image or a video).  The strong recurrence of patches
inside a single image/video provides a powerful *data-specific prior* for
solving complex tasks in a “blind” manner. The term “blind” here is used
with a double meaning: (i) Blind in the sense that we can make
sophisticated inferences about things we have never seen before, in a
totally unsupervised way, with no prior examples or training data; and
 (ii) Blind in the sense that we can solve complex Inverse-Problems, even
when the forward degradation model is unknown.

I will show the power of  this approach through a variety of example
problems (as time permits), including:

1.      "Blind Optics" -- recover optical properties of the unknown sensor,
or optical properties of the unknown environment. This in turn gives rise
to Blind-Deblurrimg, Blind Super-Resolution, and Blind-Dehazing.

2.      Segmentation of unconstrained videos and images.

3.      Detection of complex objects and actions (with no prior examples or
training).

*Short Bio:*

Michal Irani is a Professor at the Weizmann Institute of Science, in the
Department of Computer Science and Applied Mathematics. She received a
B.Sc. degree in Mathematics and Computer Science from the Hebrew University
of Jerusalem, and M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from the same
institution. During 1993-1996 she was a member of the Vision Technologies
Laboratory at the Sarnoff Research Center (Princeton). She joined the
Weizmann Institute in 1997. Michal's research interests center around
computer vision, image processing, and video information analysis. Michal's
prizes and honors include the David Sarnoff Research Center Technical
Achievement Award (1994), the Yigal Allon three-year Fellowship for
Outstanding Young Scientists (1998), the Morris L. Levinson Prize in
Mathematics (2003), and the Maria Petrou Prize (awarded by the IAPR) for
outstanding contributions to the fields of Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition (2016). She received the ECCV Best Paper Award in 2000 and in
2002, and was awarded the Honorable Mention for the Marr Prize in 2001 and
in 2005.

Host: Greg Shakhnarovich <greg at ttic.edu>

For more information on the colloquium series or to subscribe to the
mailing list, please see http://www.ttic.edu/colloquium.php